Wednesday, May 9, 2018

What it means to me

To have this sabbatical means it will be the first time in my life where I can have time and space for writing without other concerns. To paint a broad picture, I worked full time two days after I turned sixteen until I was almost 35 when I took the leap into grad school. Even then, during those summers and many after, I couldn't write. Summer is an obstacle, as autumn is a ladder over it. Yes, as I love teaching as much as writing, I always put students first as the time and energy for poetry gets placed aside. In other words, to plan and organize for writing as I do every semester for a semester's time is simply thrilling! As many of the community awards I have won is in recognition of poetry as a tool for community building, I am so excited to work within community contexts and spaces to write. Also, to work side-by-side with Barbara Waterman-Peters is a dream come true. I am looking forward to seeing how my work might change, how I may grow as a writer and bring these things into new classes for students. I want to expand in the community, too, as poet and activist. Ultimately, this semester will change my life, and I thank you, Washburn and all, for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment