Monday, August 13, 2018

Baseball and Vietnam War Film Posters



https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/all-time-best-baseball-films


1) Like in Apocalypse Now, my father has orders to go deep into the jungle to take out a strung out Marlon Brando.

2) Like in Platoon, my father is just another soldier as fights both the VC and the men in his platoon.

3) Sometimes a sergeant yells at, belittles, and psychologically destroys my father, like in Full Metal Jacket. Sometimes my father is the sergeant.

4) Just like Tom Cruise as Ron Kovic in Born on the Fourth of July, my father’s post-traumatic stress kicks in when firecrackers explode. A baby cries. He and I share war stories.

5) My father pulls a Good Morning, Vietnam by infuriating his superiors: “failing in obedience.”

6) Every day is The Deer Hunter, playing Russian Roulette in fear of any triggers.

7) We Were Soldiers.
________________________________________
POSTMEMORY: “describes the relationship
that the ‘generation after’ bears [Apocalypse Now]
to the personal, collective, and cultural trauma
[Platoon] of [my father] who came before
to experiences [I] ‘remember’ only
by means of the [Full Metal Jacket] stories [and] images,
[from movies] and behaviors among
which [I] grew up. But these experiences
were transmitted to [me] so deeply and affectively
[Good Morning, Vietnam] as to seem to constitute
memories in their own [Born on
the Fourth of July] right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment